17 People Hurt in Fire at Watsonville Hotel | News
By Ali Pfauser - email
WATSONVILLE, Calif - Watsonville Police and Fire say up to 17 people were hurt in a major fire in a hotel Monday evening.
Officials alerted people to avoid the area around 117 W. Beach St. for the next 5-10 hours Monday night while fire crews mop up scene. The surrounding streets are closed.
According to Watsonville Police, crews had to rescue people out of the burning Stag Hotel on West Beach Street when the fire broke out around 5:45 p.m. A few men working in the area jumped in to help get people out of the building.
Three victims were airlifted to a Bay Area hospital. One victim suffered respiratory burns. Another victim broke their legs when they jumped out of a second story window to escape the smoke.
The other victims suffered smoke inhalation.
Investigators don't know what caused the fire.
The Stag Hotel is a low-income men's hotel.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Shots Fired at Home in Hollister
- Second Annual Memorial Day motorcycle run and BBQ event on Sunday, May 26, 2013
- Former Hollister Math Teacher Arrested in Capitola on Charges That He Molested a Student
- Four People Shot in Hollister, Two Die at the Hospital
- Hollister Dog Reunited With Family After A Year